NYC Medical Examiner: “Molly” Killed Two at Music Festival

The New York City Medical Examiner announced today that the two students who died at the Electric Zoo music festival over Labor Day had taken fatal doses of the club drug “Molly,” according to a report in the New York Times.

Olivia Rotondo, 20, died from acute intoxication after taking pure MDMA, also known as Ecstasy.

Jeffrey Russ, 23, died of a fatal mix of MDMA and Methaylone – a stimulant often used to cut MDMA.

Methaylone was implicated in the death of a third student, also 20, who died in July.

Rotondo’s death is particularly troubling because she had apparently taken pure MDMA. Molly users had speculated that the recent string of deaths were related to a bad batch of Molly, and possibly another drug entirely. However, Rotondo’s death confirmed even pure MDMA can cause death.

According to the Times, between 2000 and 2011 there have been 43 deaths from MDMA overdoses in NYC – a fraction of the deaths from cocaine (4,676) and heroin (4,151) – but still incredibly concerning. There have been no reported fatal overdoses of marijuana in NYC, which has no known toxic dosage.

Toxicology results for Shelly Goldsmith, the UVA honors student who died after reportedly Molly MDMA Ecstasytaking Molly at a DC nightclub last week, are still pending.



Categories: MDMA

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s